Friday 22 June 2012

How do I look today?


I have been watching an article on BBC 1 this morning stating that girls as young as 11 are so conscious of their looks they are posting airbrushed images of themselves on their own Twitter and Facebook accounts.

The apparent cause for this unnatural behaviour is the media, fashion magazines and social networking sites which make youngsters feel they are somehow not normal unless they look and dress in a certain way. This has resulted in children, because that is what they are, feeling the need to alter and enhance the way they look in order to fit into their social world.

Like many people I find this very distressing and worrying and would like to offer my own perspective based on my life and experience.

To this day my mother, much to my embarrassment, tells of how I was not a bonny baby! I had a shock of black hair sprouting in all directions and apparently I was not the prettiest baby! what a negative start to my growing-up process!

I grew up on a farm which probably contributed to my ability to put material looks to one side because together with my two brothers we all had chores to complete early in the morning and again in the afternoon when we returned from school. This meant I did not have the time to spend examining every spot and pimple in front of the bathroom mirror. I also did not have a mobile phone let alone a camera with an airbrush facility to send altered images of myself to my mates.

I did however have a strong family and social support which enabled me to concentrate on the important things in my life such as how well I did in something and when I did well they would praise me for my efforts. I quickly learnt skills and attributes that would far outweigh how I looked and as long as I could do my best at something it did not matter if my physical appearance did not fit with fashion models portrayed in adverts and magazines.

My confidence was encouraged and developed around aspects of my life that would stand me in good stead.

When I lost my hearing at the age of 12, my parents continued to support my aspirations and goals even though they must have worried a lot about the challenges I would face. Looking back I can see their help was invaluable in creating the person I have become.

Over the years I have experimented with different hair colours, makeup and fake tans but have always been able to return to the real me and the real person I need to be in order to continue to work in a very eclectic business. I work for myself so I cannot afford to be pushed and pulled by other forces, least of all demoralised by the way I look.

A few years ago the inevitable grey hairs began to appear and I was dismayed, however I stood my ground and let them grow and now I am complimented on how lovely and shiny my hair looks and I am proud of my decision not to succumb any longer to the pressure of fashion.

If I were asked to give each young person a bit of advice I would say 'We are all different and beautiful in our own way. Don't fall into the trap of exchanging your own unique identity for someone else's idea of what you should look or behave like. Always be true to yourself because that way you are in control of your own destiny. Do the best you can in everything you do and dwell only on your achievements'.

I would be very interested to read your thoughts on this subject and what your advice to youngsters might be?

Photo © Philip Rathmer 

14 comments:

  1. You are so right! Beauty is inside!
    I believe there is only one thing we all have to do: Live your life! First of all we don't have lots of time, so enjoy every minute! Second of all, don't live the life of somebody else, it's you who has to make the choices! It's too bad that looks are so important these days, there are much greater things in life, I believe. (Hope the English isn't too bad..hihi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is very good and I agree with your thoughts. Thank you for posting on my blog.

      Delete
  2. You may not have been to bonny as a baby, but you are lovely now!

    But, while there is no getting away from the fact that initial attraction is dominated by looks, the fact is that, once you get to know someone, there are other attributes far more important. I have many friends who I do not rate highly on pure looks, but they are beautiful to me because of who they are. There are also those who, while attractive in a photo, I find unpleasant to spend time with.

    Sure, make the most of the looks you have, but spend more time worrying about your character than your looks. That is what will attract true friends, and once you grow old and your looks fade, your character will still be there to make you beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this post has a close relationship with "a dangerous journey." I do not know if the problem is age, but the significance is given to the subject (fashion and so on). Powered by media, advertising and business need to sell.
    (sorry ,my english is wrong )
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. How we sound is more important than how we look! And those aren't grey hairs -- I call them "highlights!" :-D

    Urb

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you look today? Gorgeous! And what an inspiration you are——in addition to a fine musician. My father always told me we Scots are famous for two things: or brains and our toughness. I'm a writer and must go deep inside to discover what I already know so I can share it with others. My handicap is alcoholism, but with the help of AA and a higher power I just celebrated 27 years clean and sober. You will always be a guardian angel for me. I hope we have the opportunity to meet if you should ever perform in the Seattle area.
    Peace and love,
    Robert Murray Miskimon
    Vashon Island, WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS...Have you ever listened to Joe Morello, drummer with the Dave Brubeck Quartet? A phenomenal drummer who was almost completely blind!
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Joe Morello live and give clinics. I have his famous drum method books too. Very influential drummer indeed.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this and also touching the external pressure on maintaining good looks. Working as a photographer I might hava a different view than others and my view might alter to the most common one in the industry. Prior to having a striking beauty in front of the camera (not that I mind good looking people), I prefer a subject with personality and caracter. It's really an enjoyable challenge trying to communicate their persona through the camera, and also a very experiencing one. I think I learn something new with every commission, should it be people or products I'm shooting.

    regards,
    Lisa, Sápmi/Sweden

    ps) I don't comment often, but I really do enjoy your blog and read every post. Keep up the writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I left school last month and one of the reasons I was so glad to was because nearly everyone was obsessed with how they looked and what other people thought of them. A common quote was'I know, I'm so sad!' when someone admitted they had an interest not considered 'normal'.
    Thankfully I found at least a few people who accepted me and each other for who they were!

    I am relieved that someone I admire as much as you thinks that way, and I might show this blog post to my mum who's obsessed with her age and always telling me to be more girly. The other day I was watching an interview of you and she was surprised that your grey hair looked so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always believed that we are much stronger than we think. It sounds to me as if you are clear about who you are. I have tried lots of things to change/help my appearance but at the end of the day I am delighted with the kind comments I receive particularly about my hair and now I would not have it any other way. Please say thank you to your Mum from me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete